I began writing a long reflection the other day, but now it reads like crap, so here’s a list instead:
1. I finished up my first job. I was basically a receptionist for 600 people in the dorms. I hated it. It’s hard working in a cliquish environment, but what else do you expect from ~20 girls?
2. I took on too much winter quarter and probably had several breakdowns that I don’t remember anymore. Something had to drop: my telecommuting community manager internship at LiveFyre.
3. I broke through toxic romantic feelings that had lingered since the beginning of freshman year. There was no more anger, yearning, or frustration. I just moved on.
4. I dropped journalism. I didn’t know what my new focus was going to be and hoped that summer would help. It didn’t. At the end of fall term, I finally changed to advertising, but that’s not set in stone either.
5. I fell in love for the first time. Our seven-month anniversary will be the same day as the BCS Championship! Haha. To someone who had never been in a real adult relationship before now, seven months is a lot of time to spend with another person. I’m still bowled over by the fact that a guy stuck out about eight months to be with me and wanted to stay with the mess I am. When Chris and I first went out (for a dinner in the dorms, no less), we talked for almost three hours non-stop. I thought I had met the perfect guy because he was into entertainment and celebrities. (Shallow, I know, but very important!) Now I know that we’re almost complete opposites, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.
6. I got the highest and lowest GPAs of my life. I’m back on the upwards track now!
7. I let a lot of good friends fall by the wayside, due to my busy schedule, Chris entering my life, and growing apart. Sometimes I regret it; sometimes I don’t care. Probably the story of my friendships.
8. But I also forged my first real friendships with guys! I don’t know what happened, but something finally clicked. Even though I don’t see them very often, they’re there, and I’m there for them.
This is the first year in a really long time that I loved and felt happier during more often than not. 2011 will be much scarier in terms of the future is looming/get an internship/omg you’re a senior now, but I’m looking forward to the challenge. After a lot of whining during this break about fearing the unknown, I’m over it. Being lost is an adventure.
Tomorrow is my last day in the city, and then I’ll board yet another 15-hour train ride back to Eugene. I can’t wait to see Chris again and get all dressed up for New Year’s Eve :) If I don’t make it back on Tumblr…
I started making this out of boredom after internship searching and became obsessed with it. Took me a few hours last night and an entire afternoon (those damn social media icons!). Yeah, it’s kinda hard to read. I only picked this difficult font for fun, but I still thought it’d translate better into PNG form. What are you going to do? I still think it looks pretty good for not knowing how to make stuff in GIMP…or any program, really. Like how I typed out |s and hypens to make lines? :P Do people think I could actually send this to job recruiters? The content is still pretty legit.
I was tired of writing in a formal tone, so I decided to do a more casual accompanying type graphic. (More |s!) Ah, I love Pupcat. It makes me so happy.